RULER is an acronym for the five skills of emotional intelligence:
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labeling emotions with a nuanced vocabulary
- Expressing emotions in accordance with cultural norms and social context
- Regulating emotions with helpful strategies
RULER’s mission is to use the power of emotions to create a healthier, more equitable, innovative, and compassionate society.
RULER is a systemic approach to SEL developed at the Center for Emotional Intelligence.
RULER aims to infuse the principles of emotional intelligence into the immune system of preK to 12 schools, informing how leaders lead, teachers teach, students learn, and families support students.
- Develop emotional intelligence skills
- Experience less attention and learning problems
- Display greater social and leadership skills
- Feel less anxious and depressed
- Become better at solving conflicts
- Perform better and are more engaged academically